Saturday, September 21, 2013

Define Literacy (what is literacy?) wk-2

Define Literacy (what is literacy?).

1)      What is the process of becoming literate? The process of become literate involves 5 components-reading, writing, speakers, listeners, and language. With key features of reading comprehension, speaking and listening, and English language. Each component and key feature is interchangeable and cohesive as a whole-leading to comprehension in all critical areas of ways to solve problems and think critically.  


2)      How did you learn to read?  The path of which I learned how to read is somewhat hazy because it was so long ago. However if my recollections process is correct it started with learning the alphabet and rhyming the alphabet. By learning the alphabet I became aware of the sounds letters made and then begun matching the sound to letters. Also, while learning to read I became aware of the syllables in words and the way theses word where segmented. Along the way, I also learned how to manipulate words using different sounding. By learning the ability to manipulate the phonics in the words I was able to change the meanings of the word while reading. Also, while learning how to read I had to write the letters and words for homework. Our homework was read out loud in the classroom. Needless to say if I did not read a word correctly I would have been hit in the back of my knee with a ruler. Put it this way I learned how to read very quickly at very young age.  My learning how to read was in close association with learning how to spell words and write.


3)      What are the best approaches to learn to read in your personal experience (based on your personal experience and observation)?

The best approaches to learning how to read and write is to associate words with phonic sounds. The ability to discriminate between letters and the sounds they make is one of the basics necessary to learn how to read. Also, the association of pictures and symbols representing letters is also helpful for word diagnostics. For whole word recognition sounding out the words syllables is also necessary. For example, if teaching a child the letter A-I would make the phonics rhythmic   sound A- and perhaps show a picture of A-Apple. I would also make learning new word sounds fun and enjoyable. When a child becomes aware that words have sounds this becomes a pre-cursor for learning how to spell and read words. I believe that learning how to read is in connection in learning how to write and spell.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home